Wednesday, June 7, 2023

The Pull of Creativity #IWSG


The IWSG question of the month: If you ever stopped writing, what would you replace it with? 

Many writers say they write because they must. There’s something deep down inside that drives them to string words into stories. I too have a similar drive, but it’s less specific. For me, it doesn’t have to be words. It’s anything creative. If it includes storytelling in some form, then that's even better.

Consequently, I tend to oscillate between art, writing and music. I’ve pursued animation, game design, graphic design, photography, music composition, piano, ai art, card making, sculpture, even cooking can be creative in a way. They all bring a quality of peace that eases the need to express myself.

As long as I’m doing something creative, I’m happy. 

How about you? If you couldn’t write, what would you do instead? 

This post was written for the IWSG. Every first Wednesday of the month, members post on their blogs about their writing insecurities or offer some encouragement to others. If you are new to the IWSG or want to learn more, then please go HERE.
 

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I agree! I have other creative outlets that would satisfy me.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't really have another creative outlet like writing. But I hae a lot of other interests.

Nick Wilford said...

I do envy people who have multiple strings to their bow. Writing tends to crowd out anything else for me and I'm not really good at anything else. I did have other hobbies as a kid (music, photography) but with the little free time I get now I just stick to writing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've always made things, build small things, taken photos, latch hook, stained glass - I also have plenty of creative things to keep me happy.

Jemi Fraser said...

We do need outlets for our creativity! I love that you have so many joys!

Carol Kilgore said...

I always have stories in my head, and I feel most free when I'm writing. But I also love to cook and create new flavor combinations. I have a couple other creative outlets too. Writing is by far my favorite, though.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Same! As long as it's some creative outlet I'm happy.

Patricia JL said...

I'm the same way. It doesn't have to be just writing. I just want to create things.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I have other creative outlets, but I feel like writing/storytelling is a uniquely satisfying past-time, something of a necessity for me.
But I am glad that you have so many creative endeavors!

Sarah Foster said...

That's awesome that you have so many creative outlets! I do have a few, but none have ever been as important to me as writing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks so much for your comments. I find it super encouraging that so many of you have multiple outlets.

Botanist said...

You started with "Many writers say they write because they must" and then went on to echo exactly what went through my own mind at that moment. I create because I must, but it's not necessarily specific to writing. Not musical, and I envy those who are, but art, yes, and cooking, and projects in the garden - though I think my pirate-ship-making days are over at my age :)

Michelle Wallace said...

So many creative platforms... so little time.
The only one I'm really hopeless at is gardening.
I once killed a cactus, which is very hard to do (I think...)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't feel like I have to write like some writers do, but I enjoy writing. When its no longer enjoyable, I would probably stop. I also have other outlets that I hope will keep my mind sharp for many years.

authorjessa said...

It's wonderful to have other creative outlets. I, unfortunately, am not musical or visually artistic. Writing is it for me.

Toi Thomas said...

I think I too have a need to be creative. Writing is just the main way to do it but writing is also how I process and cope.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - I'm sure I'd find other pursuits ... probably gardening, cooking, giving talks etc - you're very fortunate to have those talents to test and try out ... cheers Hilary