Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Aussie Phrases and A New Release #IWSG


The first Wednesday of the month is IWSG Day. This group is all about support, so today, I'm hosting hosting L. Diane Wolfe to support her new release. Take it away, Diane. 

Hello to Lynda’s friends and fans!

She asked me about Aussie words and paranormal romance. So, my answer here will be two-fold.

When I was crafting The Shark, I asked Lynda about phrases that were popular in Australia in the early 90’s when the story is set. While I didn’t use all of them, I used a few, and some really amused me.

Chucking the wobbly – getting angry and showing it

Arvo – the afternoon (much shorter which is nice)

I’m a happy little vegemite – do a search for the commercial, it’s so funny

I feel daggy – comfortable but unfashionable (my daily attire apparently)

To chuck a sickie – take a sick day off (maybe because you are chucking)

And from Lynda’s comments, apparently they say dunno a lot, too!

As for paranormal romance…

I’ve always been a bit of a romantic. I don’t read romances but I like that element in the genres I do read.

Paranormal encompasses a wide variety of fantasy/horror/speculative elements and creatures. As thus, my series contains an assortment of paranormal critters. The first in the In Darkness series was The Vampire, set in a medieval type of fantasy world. This next release, The Shark, is more contemporary and set in 1990’s Australia. The third, The Werewolf, is set in mid-80’s England. The Alien, set in the far future, is a stretch for paranormal but I do have plans!

The Shark is paranormal because…well...Clarence is a talking shark. Is he a shifter? An anomaly? What is the story behind this great white shark who can speak?

I also have a huge fascination with great white sharks, but that’s for another post!

Thank you, Lynda.
 

In Darkness: The Shark
By L. Diane Wolfe


Souls shrouded in darkness…

Focused on her studies and duties at the aquarium, Jewels prefers her solitary life. Burned many times and short on trust, she has more in common with her aquatic friends than the people around her. But she never imagined coming face to face with a shark named Clarence…a shark who talks!

As their friendship grows, Jewels must overcome her deep set mistrust. There are dangers, both in the Australian ocean and on dry land. Can Jewels depend on the great white or will his animal nature betray her?


Release date - May 9, 2023
Romance/Paranormal - Fantasy/Paranormal - Fantasy/Romance
eBook ISBN 9781939844910 $3.99


A professional speaker and author, L. Diane Wolfe conducts seminars, offers book formatting, and author consultation. She’s the senior editor at Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C. and contributes to the Insecure Writer’s Support Group.
Spunk On A Stick
Spunk On A Stick’s Tips
Insecure Writer’s Support Group



Amazon iTunesBarnes & NobleKobo
ScribedGoodreads

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chucking the wobbly - I like that one.
Congratulations, Diane!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - we have 'throwing a wobbly' and a whole string of other funnies. Good luck to you both with your books - I love the idea of your hero 'Clarence' - great name for a shark! Cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thank you for hosting me and giving me those Aussie phrases.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's cool that Lynda helped you with Aussie phrases. Congrats on your new book.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I'm quite dabby myself! 😂 Congratulations!

Carol Kilgore said...

Loved reading all the Aussie talk. I'm sure you had fun working those into your story - I would have :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Chucking the wobbly is my new favourite - those are all awesome!
Yay for Diane's new release!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Haha. Excellent. The British have theirs too. "I'm chuffed to bits." I'm happy. Or "I'm Knackered." I'm tired. It wasn't until I went to school that I learned they were left overs from my dad's time in the navy after the war.

Arlee Bird said...

We live in amazing times. You can get almost instantaneous answers from the other side of the world and have access to all sorts of resources. Wow.

Lee

Patricia JL said...

I think this is the first time I've heard of a shark shifter. You'd think they'd be more popular because sharks are cool.

Liza said...

My sister has lived in Australia for over 40 years. This is how her kids talk. Love it. Congratulations on your new release. A great white that talks. Whew! Not sure I'd get close enough to listen!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Holly - LOL!

Patricia, you would think.

Liza, Clarence is very friendly.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Alex, I like that one too

Hilary, Ha! I love that you have it too

Diane, You are more than welcome

Natalie, it was fun

H R Sinclair, I'm always daggy

Carol, I imagine it would've been a challenge ;)

Jemi, one of my favs too

Joylene, yeah, I learned chuffed from a Brit friend. I use it all the time now ;)

Arlee, So true. Gotta love it!

Patricia, yeah I hadn't heard of a shark shifter either. I like that it's a bit different.

Liza, sharks are awesome...but yeah, they are more awesome the further away they are.

Nick Wilford said...

I love the words "arvo" and "daggy". Fond memories of my few weeks in Australia, more than 20 years ago now! Diane's series sounds great. Nice to have a positive rep for sharks.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Denise Covey said...

Each culture has its own weird phrases/words. We Aussies treat everything as a joke which is a bit different. And we love double negatives.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Nice, they are fun words :)

Rajani, thanks

Denise, that's not untrue ;)