Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Writing Unexpected Genres and New Releases

In two weeks, on August 17th I’ll be releasing the box set of the Wielder’s Storm trilogy in ebook form. I’m super excited about it. You'll be able to get all three books as a set for a discounted price.

I’d hoped to share the new cover today, but alas, I’m still working on the final touches. If you’re eager to see it early, though, the members of my VIP Club will get to see it first. I’ve decided not to put it up for pre-order this time, so keep your eye out on launch day.

To join the IWSG, sign up HERE.

The IWSG Question of the month: Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

When I first started writing I had incomplete stories in my head that I needed to put down on the page to discover where they went. Because I loved fantasy, that was what they were. What kind of fantasy? Fantasy was fantasy, wasn’t it? (The answer to the question is a definite no). When I started branching out and reading more widely, I started writing other genres. It was fun and fed my creativity.

Now that I’m published, I’m learning a lot about marketing. For the story I’m currently working on, I first researched categories (genres and sub-genres) to give the book the best chance it could get based on what I’ve already published and my author brand. I even wrote the book description and the tagline before working on the story. Having that framework actually helped my creativity, though I’ll admit the story still wants to head in a direction I hadn’t anticipated, into a sub-genre I hadn’t tried before. That’s ok. I’ve added another category to the list and it probably fits the description better now that I see it.

While stories often have a mind of their own, it’s super helpful to do the research of where they might fit first. It helps with focus and in the long run, it helps with sales.

How about you? Have your stories headed in unexpected directions?

--
New Release: Against All Odds 
Book 3 in the Crossroads series
by Jacqui Murray 


Xhosa’s extraordinary prehistoric saga concludes, filled with hardship, courage, survival, and family.

A million years of evolution made Xhosa tough but was it enough? She and her People finally reach their destination—a glorious land of tall grasses, few predators, and an abundance that seems limitless, but an enemy greater than any they have met so far threatens to end their dreams. If Xhosa can’t stop this one, she and her People must again flee.

The Crossroads trilogy is set 850,000 years ago, a time in prehistory when man populated most of Eurasia. He was a violent species, fully capable of addressing the many hardships that threatened his survival except for one: future man, a smarter version of himself, one destined to obliterate all those who came before.

From prehistoric fiction author Jacqui Murray comes the unforgettable saga of a courageous woman who questions assumptions, searches for truth, and does what she must despite daunting opposition. Read the final chapter of her search for freedom, safety, and a new home.

A perfect book for fans of Jean Auel and the Gears!

Available digitally (print soon) at: Kindle US, Kindle UK, Kindle CA, Kindle AU

To connect with Jacqui Murray: Amazon Author Page, Blog, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, Website.

49 comments:

Susan B.Rouchard said...

Thanks Lynda for your post. Interesting tip about choosing the frame and pitch before creating. Congratulations on your ebook release.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - congratulations on your Wielders series ... I loved the one I read and am sure others will. I've got Jacqui's book here - and need to read it ... take care as you finish off. Stay safe - Hilary

Debbie Johansson said...

I've heard some people write the book description and tagline before writing, which helps keep them focused. It's an interesting idea, which I have yet to try. Congratulations on the box set!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need to sign up for the VIP club.
Writing the tagline beforehand would've helped my current project.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Knowing the sub genres is very important.

Nick Wilford said...

I can see how having an idea of what the finished product will look like would help with focus. Congrats on the box set.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think it's important to figure out where your book is going to fit before you write it is important. And it's awesome that you know enough about your story to write a tagline before you start writing.

Jemi Fraser said...

Your new story sounds intriguing!!! Looking forward to it :)
Congrats to Jacqui - sounds like a fascinating book.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Knowing the direction that you're going in your writing does help to help you focus your marketing plan. Congratulations on your book set and all the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Yay! for the upcoming release of the box set. Please message me the info so I can share via social media.

I also like writing the tagline, blurb, and a lengthy synopsis before I write the story. Of course, those are all subject to change as the story evolves during the writing stage. I feel it grounds me and gives me something to refer back to when I've lost my way between the written and unwritten pages.

Lynn J Simpson said...

I'm excited for you box set, Lynda! I found a lot of my essays headed toward dealing with grief which was unexpected. I had a lot of deaths in the family over the last 6 years. It's interesting how our writing can reflect the deepest parts of us we are working through.

Computer Tutor said...

Interesting--your thoughts on picking the genre. I do agree--the closer it matches what you've written, the more crossover you'll get. Thanks so much for featuring me! Jazz hands!

Computer Tutor said...

Thanks, Hilary, for picking up my novel. I sure hope you enjoy it!

Computer Tutor said...

Thanks, Jemi! It does have lots of historical info about early man. Pretty amazing how we survived at all!

Liza said...

It makes smart business sense to know your market...and to know when you are writing too. That said, sometimes you just have to write, and see where it goes...

Carol Kilgore said...

I write in the mystery genre, but it's a broad one - like fantasy. More often now, I add other elements, but my stories are still mysteries at the core.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I love fantasy and speculative fiction, reading and writing it. However, I've branched off to write mystery. Picking a genre is clever, a good idea. Many writers, including myself, have written novels that can't seem to fit into one category. My agent thought I'd be good at writing Magical Realism, nope! It turned into speculative fiction. LOL.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love how you wrote the tag line/blurb first! This is such great advice. Once you have your What If statement, then I say write the story. IT really helps the direction the story needs to take.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Susan

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Hilary

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You should try it next time! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It doesn't always stay the same by the end of the project, but it does help.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Very very. I hadn't realized how important this was until I started publishing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Nick

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It's helping me so much!

Chemist Ken said...

I'm not quite sure what the genre of my story is yet. Urban fantasy, speculative fiction, urban science fantasy? It may not be a big deal when you're writing the story, but as you pointed out, it can make a big difference in the marketing side of things. Next time I'll figure out the genre ahead of time.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Jemi

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Pat

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks so much for the offer. I'll do that!

And yes, absolutely. They can change if the story calls for it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

writing can be so therapeutic that way.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You're welcome :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It is a fun aspect.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Totally agree!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I do like a good mystery

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

So funny. I've tried magical realism too and it just doesn't work for me.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It really does!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Spec fic is just a broad term for all of them, probably too broad to pin on a single story. I like the sound of urban science fantasy.

Mandy said...

It's interesting to hear how you almost started backwards starting with a tagline and description first! Whatever works! Thank you for sharing. I know you can't wait to share your new cover with the world! :-)

With Love,
Mandy

Denise Covey said...

I think we usually write what we love to read, despite the move to write-to-market attitude. I'm sorry I hadn't signed up to your email list before this.

Botanist said...

It's so true that stories have a mind of their own. Nothing I've written has yet ended up anywhere close to what I envisaged at first.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like you found a good way to go about writing each project indeed.

dolorah said...

Hi Lynda. My stories almost always find me. I guess I find the genre as the story progresses, and tweak it to fit during editing. It's cool that you can plan out so much writing it. Sometimes I wish I could do that.

Toi Thomas said...

Congrats on your upcoming release.
I think it does help to have an idea of where you're heading with a story, in terms of genre and theme, but it does sometimes change in progress.
Congrats to Jacqui on her release.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Very eager to share the cover with the world :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Not a problem! Hope you enjoy my once-in-a-while bulletins

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love that about writing :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'll admit that each project is different

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I just find it a faster way of writing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I've learned that it's helpful to listen to where the story wants to go.