Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Benefits of Reading Plus Books to Read #IWSG


YA Fantasy Adventure set on the high seas.

A tense adventure that will keep you guessing with all of its wicked twists and turns. – Alex J. Cavanaugh, best-selling author

Jasmine’s whole life is a lie. It isn’t until she’s snatched and forced to work on another ship that she learns how much of a lie it has been. Not only can she wield, but she’s a danger to everyone if she can’t control her magic. And worse: there’s another out-of-control wielder out there who wants her dead.

That's the short version. If you want the longer version, check it out on Amazon.

My release date is coming up fast. So super fast!! Less than two weeks! I'm so crazy busy getting ready for it. Wielder's Prize is my debut. If you haven't guessed already, the ebook is currently available for preorder. Get it now, because once it hits the shelves on October 14th the price will go up.

Please spread the word!!
--

The IWSG Question of the month: It's been said that the benefits of becoming a writer who does not read is that all your ideas are new and original. Everything you do is an extension of yourself, instead of a mixture of you and another author. On the other hand, how can you expect other people to want your writing, if you don't enjoy reading? What are your thoughts?

There are no benefits for a writer not to read. None whatsoever.  You’d be doing yourself a disservice by not reading. You’ll also find that most of your ideas won’t be original because your ideas will still be coming from other inputs in your life: crappy tv, movies, billboards, anywhere you gain any form of input.

There are heaps of benefits for a writer to read. So many!! Below are just a few:

1. Reading activates the brain in a way watching shows can’t. Apart from being good for your mental health, guarding against diseases like Alzheimers, it improves mental flexibility which makes writing so much easier.

2. You can’t learn the craft of writing without reading. There’s only so much a how-to book or podcast can teach you. The real lessons come from reading widely and often. Seeing your craft in action is the best way to see for yourself what works and what doesn’t.

3. Reading teaches you about your market. Reading widely within the genre you write in teaches you what else is out there. What you think is an original idea, you’ll suddenly realise is an old trope that’s been done to death.

4. Reading gives you new ideas. Yes, NEW ones. Every idea under the sun is based on another idea. The more input you get, the more chance you’ll be able to form something new from the old.

5. Reading inspires writers. I’m talking about when we read something awesome, it affirms in our hearts and souls that yes, we do want to keep writing.

6. Reading supports the book industry—the industry you want to be a part of. It’s already struggling because people are turning to other sources of entertainment.

And there are so many more benefits. I could go on and on and on… So read!! Hey, I have a book you might enjoy… ;) And if you don't like YA fantasies, then you might like Damyanti's debut crime novel:
--
Damyanti Biwas
I'm halfway through this book and loving it so far! 


This is how it starts:
Anjali Morgan wanted to get hold of Nikhil and smack him. He could have hurt himself jumping out of the moving car.
    I told you he’ll be the death of you one day, Mom’s voice played in her ears. You never listen.
   ‘Get back in the car,’ she yelled at Nikhil, but he’d disappeared, leaving Anjali stranded at the narrow, sloping exit tunnel of the capital’s largest shopping mall. Two drivers honked behind her. She wanted to turn and yell at them but held back. You know better than anyone else he can’t help it.
She needed to clear her head before she spoke to him again. He wouldn’t go far. Deep breaths. She leaned out of the car door and inhaled, only for the petrol fumes to hit her, along with the smog and that dusty smell unique to New Delhi. She forgot it most times, but now she choked on it and coughed.
Anjali stepped out of her car, the yellow overhead lights blinding her for a moment. Five cars now queued up behind hers. The driver in the first car had seen a teenager throw a tantrum in front of his harried mother. He slammed the horn and the rest followed suit. She spotted Nikhil’s gangly form down the slope, cantering away.
   ‘Madamji.’ A short Nepali guard in a beige uniform hurried up the slope towards her, his whistle shrieking. ‘Yahan parking allowed nahin hai.’
   ‘I’m sorry.’ Anjali tried to remember the Hindi words, but they’d fled, along with her composure.      
  ‘My son has run away.’
   She was about to sprint after Nikhil when the guard overtook her and blocked the way.
  ‘No parking here.’ He pointed at the cars queuing up behind her. ‘This is “Exit”.’
   Down the slope behind the guard, Anjali watched in horror as Nikhil turned into the parking area and disappeared. The cool air of a November evening made her shiver.
   ‘I need to go get my son. What part of that can’t you understand?’

To keep reading, buy the book. All the author proceeds will go to Project WHY, dedicated to helping underprivileged children, and Stop Acid Attacks, which campaigns for the cause of acid attack survivors. Both are non-profit organizations.

Damyanti Biswas volunteers for the non-profits, Project WHY and Stop Acid Attacks. She speaks passionately on the subjects of gender, violence, and poverty. The narrative of Damyanti’s new novel, You Beneath Your Skin (Simon and Schuster), has been shaped by her years of interaction with women and children in these two organisations. Using a framework of a crime thriller, she conjures in this book an authentic portrayal of poverty, misogyny, and political corruption.

Website, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook

71 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - Wielder's Prize is an excellent read loved it!

Damyanti's book is shocking, but so essentially informative ... similar things are happening here - but to have the ideas set out for us in a crime novel is such a brilliant idea ...

Congratulations for both books - highly recommended. Cheers Hilary

Denise Covey said...

You feel the same as I do re reading. I wonder how it is even a thing. I get irate when authors brag about never reading. Grr.

Looking forward to reading Damyanti’s book.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I have similar feelings to reading. Congrats on your upcoming book debut. Wishing you all the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pre-order it now because it's awesome!!
So happy for Damy as well.
I can't imagine writing without reading.

Sarah Foster said...

Congrats to you and Damyanti!
So many good reasons to be a writer who reads. I can't imagine not reading. I don't think I would be a writer if I hadn't been a reader first.

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah, reading has way too many benefits to never not do it. Congrats to you and Damyanti too!

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations on your book debut, all that hard work 🌹

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats on your book - first fiction.

Reading engages the brain and makes us think.

Liza said...

Wonderful point about reading,especially #5. Reading good writing keeps me going! Hooray for you on your debut!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I don't know what I would do without reading. It keeps me sane . . . or as sane as I ever get. :)

Great book covers!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Good Luck on your Wielder's Prize!! I highly recommend it!!!

Great Post!

I totally agree with you!! A writer must read!

Brigitte Kirady said...

Congrats on your upcoming (and first!) release!! Busy as you may be, be sure to take the time to enjoy it as well.
I agree so much that reading is a huge benefit to writers. I can't imagine how it could ever NOT be. Great post!

David Powers King said...

Congrats, Damyanti!

Can't tell you how many times I turned to other books to see how the author did their craft, reading is a paramount writing tool. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Just pre-ordered your book. Can't wait to read it! I hope you'll e-mail me so that I can mention your book in my Follower News.

Juneta key said...

Agreed. Loved your answer. Congratulations Damyanti on your new release.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congrats to both you and Damyanti!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new release! So exciting!

And as to the NonReaders, you made the same points I did, in a lot less words. No one is coming up with "original" ideas just because they deprive themselves of the joys of reading.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Lynda, for featuring You Beneath Your Skin on your blog.

I hope the book takes off really well, so I can use the funds to save schools!

Computer Tutor said...

So true. I think it's infinitely more likely readers don't write than writers don't read.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I agree with all your postitves for reading as a writer. It does give us fresh ideas and let's us understand the market as it changes so often. Congrats on your soon to be book release!

Jemi Fraser said...

Totally agree! Reading is a fabulous way to be a better writer!
Looking forward to your book!
Congrats to Damyanti - You Beneath Your Skin is so powerful!

emaginette said...

Congrats, Lyn. I love the cover. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

H. R. Sinclair said...

I love the cover! Fun and so it the premise.

Chemist Ken said...

You also need to read in order to learn what the tropes of you genre are. If you skip those, your readership will notice.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks so much, Hilary

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I had to pull back on my tone for this post because I too get angry over this issue.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks so much, Pat

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Alex :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Totally the same here!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Pat

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yep, there was a lot of hard work behind it. A LOT! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

First novel :)
Exciting and scary times.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

There is something special about reading good writing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm familiar with that kind of sanity ;)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Cathrina :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks you so much, Brigitte :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Reading is hugely important

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I will definitely send you that email!!!!
Thanks again for your continued support and encouragement.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Juneta

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Tyrean

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It is exciting!!
Ha, the post was a lot longer but I cut it back... ;)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I don't doubt it will!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You'd be amazed how many writers I've come across who don't read...

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thank you so much! I worked hard on it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Jennifer

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Jemi

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks. That makes me super happy because I worked so hard on it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks so much

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Exactly right :)

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Jemi!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Tyrean!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Juneta.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, David.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Hilary. I look forward to reading Lynda's book.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks for your interest in the book, Denise. Some of your corrections in the first chapter still remain within the book. Thank you.

J.Q. Rose said...

Congrats on your upcoming release! What a beautiful cover. Great points on how reading helps writers. You are so right-on (write-on) when you say reading inspires writers. I love escaping into a great book filled with characters I care about, an intriguing premise, and language that flows on the page. That kind of writing makes me want to do the same for my readers.
JQ Rose

Michelle Wallace said...

Congrats, Lynda! The book sounds like fun!
I wonder if it would be suitable for my 13 & 14 year old students? They're always asking me for books to read...

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on your imminent release. So exciting!

I love the reasons you laid out here for reading. Although we do get inspiration from everywhere, books are a vital part of that. There's so much to learn.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Exactly! It's wonderful!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I personally think it's fine for 13-14 year olds, but there should be a warning attached that there is some violence in the story.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Nick.
Books are definitely vital

Shannon Lawrence said...

All excellent reasons to read! And it's fun.

Fundy Blue said...

Congratulations, Lynda! I hope that your book is very successful. It sounds like lots of fun and adventure. Somehow, I've missed the fact that you write under a pseudonym. Damyanti Biwas' book also sounds excellent.

You made five cogent arguments in support of the value of reading. This is aside from the IWSG question, but as a teacher, I often told my students' parents that one of the most important things they could do for their children was to read to them. We need to foster reading by starting it very early and making it pleasurable. All the best to you! Belated happy IWSG Day!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

So much fun! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

My pen name is just for my YA novels.

And yes, getting kids excited about reading at an early age has such a huge impact.

cleemckenzie said...

Well, I've read both of these books and my hat's off to the two of you. Each is so different, meant for a different audience, but well crafted and excellent reads.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Aw, Thanks, Lee. I deeply appreciate that.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Great reasons to read. I have Damyanti's book on my TBR list. Congrats on your upcoming release. Let me know if you'd like to guest on my blog.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh! Yes please! I'll send you an email :)

Damyanti Biswas said...

Thanks so much, Susan. Really appreciate it.

Adnan Dar said...

Thanks Lynda for sharing "weilder's prize" seems very interesting and lovely book for reading.