Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Writing Regrets #IWSG


Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

This is the IWSG question of the month.  

My debut novel was Wielder's Prize, a YA Fantasy Adventure. I'd done my research, read heaps of fantasy novels, heaps of young adult novels, heaps of young adult fantasy novels. I was pretty sure I knew the market. It was a story I was super proud of and happy to share with the world. What I hadn't expected was that for some people, the portrayal of physical abuse is a trigger--a bigger one than I had anticipated. And I portray it early in the story. I feared it had an impact on sales, because those people were loudly vocal about their feelings in their reviews. While the majority of my reviews were four stars or higher, I never wanted people to feel uncomfortable, and while we can't please everyone, I wanted to do something about it. 

The situation my main character grew up in was integral to the story, so it wasn't just a matter of taking that portion out entirely. The whole point of the overarching story across the three books was the importance of forgiveness. So, I came to a compromise and revisited the beginning of the story so that the abuse is softened greatly. It will still be a trigger for some. That I can't change. But I hope that I've made it less uncomfortable when there are already enough things in this world that are grim.

Having learnt that lesson, I now steer clear of anything that's remotely controversial. I applaud writers who can tackle those difficult subjects, but for myself, I just want to offer exciting, escapist reads.

How about you? Ever feel conflicted about something you wrote?


This post was written for the IWSG. Every first Wednesday of the month, members post on their blogs about their writing insecurities or offer some encouragement to others. If you are new to the IWSG or want to learn more, then please go HERE.
 


12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember that scene. Be a challenge to soften it all right.

Liza said...

I am all in for escapist reads!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's good to know about the triggering for some people.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

People are so easily offended and triggered these days, it's difficult to write anything safe.

Diane Burton said...

Certain topics are hot buttons for some people. I must have read that book after you made the change as I don't remember the abuse.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - I definitely don't do controversial topics, though only write blog posts. I thoroughly enjoyed your Wielder's stories ... cheers Hilary

Carol Kilgore said...

Every day. Best thing for me is to let it sit for as long as possible and hope my subconscious figures it out.

Patricia JL said...

Abuse is something that you can't ever not trigger at least one person. It, sadly, happens too much. Stuff like that, I would put a trigger warning on so as to ward off people who aren't ready to face something like that even in a fictional setting. But that's just me. It sounds like you came to a good solution, too.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Alex, it's definitely softened. I wish I'd written it like that in its first edition. Oh well. I learned.

Liza, same same!!

Natalie, yeah, it's a big thing, which surprised me considering the current violence levels we expose ourselves to in movies and tv and well, the news.

L Diane, it's a broken world. It's why I like escapist fiction the best.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Diane, your comment made me smile. I actually found that super encouraging, because the story isn't about that.

Hilary, thanks so much. It means a lot to me that you enjoyed the Wielder's series.

Carol, that's a good way to do it. The subconscious knows more than we do :P

Patricia, I think in the description of my book, I start with "The daughter of an abusive cook on a trade ship, Jasmine..." But yeah, a warning might be the way to go.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Almost every conflict in a story can be triggering for someone. I've started to realize that in my writing.

Fundy Blue said...

Lynda, I really liked Diane's comment about how it's difficult to write anything safe today. I am not someone who would have been offended by the abuse in your book, but then I'm a very broad-minded. I haven't read your Wielder's series, but I read and loved "Well of Ash." It was exciting and escapist. When I write, I write what I feel/think is the truth and don't worry about the fallout. But then I've never had to worry about sales ~ lol! I'm sorry that I'm just getting around now. I was traveling. Have a happy August.