Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Joy of Getting Reader Feedback #IWSG


The IWSG question of the month for May: Has any of your readers ever responded to your writing in a way you didn't expect?

Whenever a reader responds--a good review, a fan email, a smile, a quiet thanks--I'm always surprised. Why? Because it means my writing touched someone enough that they went out of their way to let me know. It's easy to think you write in a vacuum, even when you're getting good sales. The stories go out, but percentage-wise, it's rare for anything to come back in terms of a response. Good, bad, or otherwise.

The time that surprised me the most was at a book festival. I was sitting around with other, better known authors, and a random person came up to the group and looked straight at me. 

"I know you," he said. 

I scrambled to place where I might've known him. At work? At school? At church? Nothing triggered.

"You wrote [insert novelette in an anthology that's now out of print--the same one I ended up rewriting and turning into the novella, Well of Ash]. I loved it!"

I kind of blinked at him. How on Earth did he recognize me? Turned out, he was a quiet follower of my blog and social media. This was an actual fan.They exist!

Don't think I've ever been more blown away.

So, if you love a writer's work, please let them know. We can live off that happiness for years to come ;)

Have you ever let an author know how much you loved their work? Have you ever been surprised by a reader's response?

 

This post was written for the IWSG. Every first Wednesday of the month, members post on their blogs about their writing insecurities or offer some encouragement to others. If you are new to the IWSG or want to learn more, then please go HERE.


31 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really cool! So the fans do stalk us? Good to know...

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's a great story. I would have wracked my brain like you did.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

How sweet! I remember being at a book festival ten years ago and hearing someone yell "It's Spunk On A Stick!" Blew me away.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Getting positive feedback from a reader is so encouraging.
It is like oil being poured on the soul when it happens.
Wishing you all the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Jemi Fraser said...

LOVE that! What a moment - that's a definite keeper memory :)

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

That's awesome! I wonder how many quiet stalkers -- er -- fans I have...

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Whirlwind Publishing

cleemckenzie said...

It is an interesting feeling to have someone know you from your writing. Great compliment.

Anonymous said...

What a heart-warming experience! In these times, when fans can sometimes be rabid (and not in a good way), it's reassuring to know that there are still gentle readers in the world.

Carol Kilgore said...

How cool! I've only experienced that at a book club meeting, so not really the same thing. Happy May!

Computer Tutor said...

I love that story, Lynda. It gives us-all hope!

Nick Wilford said...

I love that story. The confusion and then the heartwarming realisation. Hope for all of us!

Liza said...

So fun! I had a local librarian once say to me, "You write for that local magazine. When I get it, I look for your articles." I was tickled!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm guessing you have more than me ;)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It was a weird taste of fame.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ha! That's awesome!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yes! It's such a good feeling.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Definitely!! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Many, no doubt

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm so glad you have!! I hope every writer gets that.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It was :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm not quite at the rabid fan stage of my career, but I get what you're saying. :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Still, it's a nice feeling when anyone appreciates our work.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Jacqui

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I hope you get that experience one day soon too :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Aw, that's so nice! I love it :)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Oh yes. It does feel so good to know that your story touched a reader's heart. We all know we write because we love to do so. But when the writing helps another person, opens their heart to help fill a need, that's super special. <3

Erika Beebe said...

How lovely! I'm glad you have this experience and feedback from this reader. Happy IWSG Day :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

yes! Exactly! It is so special :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks, Erika

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - what a wonderful compliment to have ... I'd be dining out on that for ever - as you are ... and you've an opportunity to tell us - great to read. Fun post - thank you ... Hilary

J.Q. Rose said...

Now that meeting is one to fall back on when you are having a down time with your writing. Write for him. Thanks for sharing this delightful story.