Does this mean resolutions are a waste of time? Absolutely not! Resolutions are an opportunity to restart, reshape and renew our hopes and dreams. But it does help to make make both long term and short term goals with a clear direction toward achieving them. Below is my list of resolutions for 2013.
- I will not let my doubts become a black cloud over my writing. Instead I will make a habit of listening to both the story and my heart, and I will write anyway despite the fears.
- The blank page will no longer intimidate me. Instead I will pour out my words and know it’s okay to make a mess. Besides, every mess can be cleaned up with a little work and determination.
- I will no longer allow my muse to rule me. She doesn’t have the power. I do. Therefore I will re-establish my writing schedule so I'll write whether or not I’m in the mood.
- I will not fall for the lie that writing is more important than reading. Instead I will dedicate a portion of every day to reading and I will read ten more books than I did last year.
- I will balance my social media time so that it doesn’t take over my day. That means setting a limited time per day for blogging, Twitter, Facebook and all the others.
- I won’t stop dreaming big, but I will add measureable, reachable goals to steer me towards those dreams. As my hubby often says, ‘Hope is not a strategy’.
- I will not let my doubts stop me from putting my work out there. Not everyone will love my stories, but that doesn’t matter.
- Perfection is unachievable. I will remind myself of that, work until I get close to perfection, then I will let go. Otherwise no work will ever get finished.
- I will not allow myself to get distracted from my goals… unless that distraction comes in the form of a golden ticket, or Johnny Depp.
- I will stop worrying about the things I can't control. Life is too short for silly things that will only age me faster and stunt my dreams.
- If I fail any of these resolutions, I will not call myself a failure and give up. Rather than tossing my messages in the bottle, I will hold onto them, read them and remember what I want.
What are your New Year’s resolutions?
This post was writing for Alex J Cavanaugh’s Insecure Writers’ Support Group. We post on the first Wednesday of every month.
A Special thank you to Jarmila V. Del Boccio of Making the Write Connections and Daisy Lancaster of Fresh as a Daisy Soap.
Avocado Rosemary Moisturizing Facial Soap and it is amazing!! I love it. As a bonus, Daisy also sent me three wonderful samples: Lavendar Oatmeal, Luscious Lemon, and a Sweet Orange solid lotion bar. I highly recommend these. They are sheer luxury at an affordable price. Thank you Jarm and Daisy!