Sydney Writers’ Festival I attended a workshop run by Hazel Flynn. She is a successful freelance writer, editor and broadcaster. She offered many suggestions on how to get the proverbial foot in the door. Below are just a few:
1. Personal connections. It does sometimes come down to who you know in the industry. It’s not a guarantee of publication, but it will help your manuscript get read.
2. Get a literary agent. In Australia writers can go directly to publishers, however, manuscripts coming from agents will be read. Often unsolicited manuscripts will end up in slush piles if accepted at all.
3. Attend festivals and conferences. You never know who you will meet and there’s so much to learn at these events.
4. Do writing courses. This is a great way to get a sense of whether your writing is working. It’s a great way of honing your craft.
5. Check the acknowledgements in books similar to your own. This will give you an idea of who helped the author get published.
6. Self publish. Many popular authors started with self publishing.
7. Show flexibility. Be willing to accept advice. If an editor suggests changes, then it’s in your best interest to listen.
What other ways can you suggest to get a foot in the publishing door? What are you currently doing to get published?