Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Benefit of Writing #IWSG

This month’s optional question for the Insecure Writer’s Support Group comes in two parts. For part one, How do major life events affect your writing? You can check out my response here. I explain how my writing took a hit during a difficult time, and what I did about it.

Today’s post will cover part two: Has writing ever helped you through something? Yes indeedy. I first started writing for escapism. What I hadn’t expected was that it became a type of therapy. I had some Stuff I had to work through and suddenly that Stuff was appearing on the page as I wrote. I went with it and I ended up with an interesting story and a better understanding of the Stuff that had been lurking in the background of my life.

Years later, I discovered that writing non-fiction worked the same way. With my book, Cling to God: A Daily Devotional, I better understood my faith in God by writing out my random thoughts while reading the Bible. When I decided to turn those thoughts into a book, I honed them and the feelings that went with them into something I could share with others. That way not only did the writing help me draw closer to God, but it has helped others to do the same also.

How about you? How has writing affected and helped you?

This post was written for the IWSG. Every first Wednesday of the month the members of our group post on their blogs about their writing insecurities or offer some encouragement to others. If you are new to the IWSG, then please go HERE  

Quick reminder: the IWSG Anthology Contest is open for submissions! The genre is Young Adult Romance and the theme is Masquerade. Don't wait until the last minute!

26 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really awesome writing your devotional drew you closer to God.

Erika Beebe said...

Lovely post today Lynda. I love your daily devotional too :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Now you're helping others draw closer to God with that devotional. We're still reading it every night.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

It always amazes me what show up on the page. You just never know! :)

Cathrina Constantine said...

We all need to draw closer to God! Thank you Lynda!!

Anonymous said...

I can't say writing has helped me through anything, but I always find it nice when it has for others. Makes it feel more special.

Computer Tutor said...

That's basically why I turned to writing. Nicely said, Lynda.

Crystal Collier said...

YES! Writing for escape. Definitely. =) I hear you 100%.

Chris Votey said...

I wish I could say yes. Writing is something I thoroughly enjoy, and despite my setbacks has been there as a goal to reach towards, but if anything it makes me more depressed... weird as that sounds.

My need for writing is to one day overcome my disability and be able to care for myself, which thus far has not happened. It seems quite a futile exercise, truth be told. I do it however because it is what I was meant to do and one of the few things I can still do despite my accident.

I also still do it because I have hope that the more I do it, the more likely things will turn around. I do love to get lost into a story I write, but I can only do that for short bursts.

emaginette said...

It has and in much the same way as you. I wouldn't be here today without. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that writing helps you through these times. I wish it would for me too, but it hasn't in the past. But there's always tomorrow!

Chemist Ken said...

I didn't realize it at first, but now I realize my writing is definitely an escape. And it gives me goals that have nothing to do with work.

Carol Kilgore said...

Anything that brings you closer to God is good. Plus your book helps others. I write to get the characters and stories out of my head.

Pat Hatt said...

Never know what shall show as away we go.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I think that for me, writing is an outlet; that is, it allows me to say the things that I don't have the courage to say in "real" life. And sometimes, it can help me feel better about things that I'm struggling with if I write about it; I can analyze what I've gone through by writing about it, or at the very least, I can express how I feel.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynda - yes certainly we can draw help from our writings and thoughts about life ... I know I have - it isn't recorded here ... but the blog has helped me through. It's certainly taught me a lot that I'd have never have had if I hadn't started blogging ... cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

I don't think writing has helped me through anything, but it has certainly allowed some release of pressure when I ... just once in a while ... use a real life nasty person as the basis for a minor character, and then give them a suitably nasty ending :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I wouldn't say writing is "escape" for me. Instead, writing about things helps clarify my thoughts. The whole process of articulating a matter, a feeling, an occurrence brings it into sharper focus. And often I use it later in scenes for characters, etc.

Michelle Wallace said...

It's a blessing that your day-to-day thoughts culminated in the non-fiction books. Authentic.
Lovely post, Lynda.

Toi Thomas said...

For me, writing can be an escape but it's also thereaputic. Writing my first novel helped me discover a sens of hope and helped me to reconnect with my faith in God; I didn't know fiction could do that. I've also started to express myself more through non-fiction and am finding it liberating.
BTW- I adore your book Cling to God.

Juneta key said...

Writing has always been a comfort and escape, something I have found harder to do as I get older, but I keep trying. Hardest during struggles but then that is what you have to learn to write through isn't? One step at a time. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Yes, that Stuff needs to be worked through and writing is an excellent way to do it!!

Carol Riggs said...

Exactly! It sounds like your life affected your writing, and then (especially with the devotional) your writing affected your life. Very cool. My early novels were also a kind of therapy; I kept seeing patterns show up. :o)

Mark said...

Elements from my personal life definitely provide the grist for my writing, but it's often buried in plot and characters:)

Blue Grumpster said...

Bad news makes me a better writer. I guess I've been doing fine these past couple of months (based on my writing)... Knock on wood.

Hi Lynda!

Patsy said...

I first started writing after some major changes in my life and it helped me find a new direction – and provided lots of fun.