Wednesday, February 2, 2011
7 Reasons We Need a Critique Partner
2. Writers often suffer from blindness when it comes to their own ms. I can go through my work a billion times and still not catch basic mistakes. A critique partner will zero in on these mistakes.
3. What goes on in my brain isn’t always what I’ve put down on paper. A critique partner will often point out the holes in my story. They will help us find clarity in our meaning.
4. It’s not uncommon to repeat words and phrases. A critique partner can point out our favourite catch phrases, words and descriptions. In my previous project I didn’t realise everyone scowled all the time. In my current project, now everyone gasps.
5. My experience of critique partners is they are supportive and helpful. I’ve learned so much, not only from gaining critiques, but also giving critiques.
6. Critique partners push us to do better.
7. Critique partners teach us to grow a thick skin. The more we put our work out there for judgement, the easier it gets to hear criticism, and the faster we will learn and improve.
Can you think of any other benefits from having a critique partner? What’s the best tip you’ve gained from your critique partner?